Nordic Fair Isle Slouch Hat KAL with Tanis Gray
Post by Tanis Gray
I really enjoyed my first Knit-A-Long (KAL) with String Yarns. I’ve mentioned my love of teaching so many times on my blog (and I know some of my readers are students, here’s a shout out to you!) and it’s interesting to see the evolution of my teaching experience.
I’d like to introduce the project for our second online KAL with String Yarns, the Nordic Fair Isle Slouch Hat. Designed to be unisex with a slouchy fit, this hat was made for the beginner Fair Isle knitter or someone looking to learn Fair Isle from a stranded color work knitting
addict professional. The bold, Nordic-inspired motif is flattering on everyone and the Stacy Charles Fine Yarns Aran 30 Sport cashmere and wool blend is a delight with its tweedy look and super soft feel. When finished it’ll feel like you have a cloud on your head!
Knitting up on US 5s and 7s, this hat is jam-packed with technique – the cabled cast on, corrugated ribbing, Fair Isle or stranded color work, spiral decreasing and chart reading. Beginning on January 12th, I’ll be hosting the online KAL on the String Yarns Ravelry Group here. Join other knitters from across the globe knitting up this gorgeous hat – a perfect gift for yourself after you’ve done so much for everyone else this holiday season!
If this is your first KAL, you'll want to know exactly how to get in on the action:
How do our KALs work?
- Purchase your pattern on Ravelry, you will receive a discount code for 15% off Stacy Charles Fine Yarns Aran 30 Sport available here (you’ll need 2 contrasting shades), so you can be ready when we start. (Let us know if you need assistance setting up a Ravelry profile.) If you sign up before January 12th you will receive the first page of the pattern with all the specs and the discount code for purchasing the yarn needed for the KAL.
On the morning of January 12, an update to the pattern (which will include the entire pattern) will be sent to your Ravelry library.
- Gather your materials. These are listed on the first page of the pattern. You can purchase the yarn for 15% off throughout the KAL with the discount code (also on the first page of the pattern).
- Each Tuesday for a month we will work our way through this hat with detailed photo tutorials, instructions, tips and tricks. I will be there to answer questions and cheer you on as we knit together virtually.
- Any day during the week, you can post questions, comments, and pictures of your work in progress. We hope you’ll make new friends, learn new skills and think of the String Yarns group as your virtual knitting home.
- You can work at your own pace. Even though the KAL will be 4 weeks in length, I will be dropping in after that to check on how you’re doing. You can still post to the thread any time.
If learning or perfecting your stranded color work knitting was your 2016 resolution, this is the project for you. Don't forget to choose your 2 colors for your kit and be sure to join the String Yarns Ravelry Group here to be part of the KAL. I’ll see you on the 12th!
Read more about the Nordic Fair Isle Slouch Hat KAL [HERE].
Images courtesy Tanis Gray.